Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Course Rating Criteria


Let me first say, that I have never played a bad golf course but there are definitely some that are much better than others. I use a six color coded system that is similar to the tee boxes at your local golf course. The forward (Red) tees would equate to the lesser quality courses and the championship (Black) tees would be reserved for those world class courses. I try to play as many upscale courses as possible, so my ratings may appear somewhat skewed to the upside. Most courses I have only played one time and that may have been almost 60 years ago.The ratings are based on when I last played the course, which may be very different from what the course may play today. Conditioning, Course Design, and Shot Variety are components which will contribute to my overall golfing experience. I do use a few more criteria for those courses that fall into the Black category to help differentiate those . I am always open to your opinion on where you think a course should be rated in its present state.

9 hole courses are noted (9) and will be slotted below 18 hole courses of the same quality. Those courses that are True Links, walking only with caddies available, and have unique on site lodging available will be rewarded. Courses tolerating Slow play will definitely be penalized.

RED (R) - OK. If you are in need of a golf fix, there is a tee box and a flag stick to shoot at. What more can one ask for when you have a golf addiction? Goat farm.

GREEN (Gr) -FAIR, basic design with marginal to fair conditioning. Couple of decent holes.

WHITE (W) - GOOD, basic/decent design with fair/avg conditioning. A few notable holes.

GOLD (G) -VERY GOOD, decent design, avg/well conditioned, with some distinctive holes.

BLUE (B) - EXCELLENT, exceptional design/well conditioned or great design/avg conditioned. A must play if in the area with many memorable holes.

BLACK (Bk**) - EXTRAORDINARY EXPERIENCE, this course has or will be on some golf publication's top 200 list. Great design with a variety of playable holes of different lengths that challenges the player as to club selection and offers various options to play a shot. Several of the holes are very memorable with a strong group of finishing holes. It is very well conditioned and usually plays firm and fast (I have a bias toward Links style courses). This course most often offers the option to walk or take a caddie for your round of golf. The majority of the holes will have adequate isolation from adjacent holes with very little if any residential impact, providing a great visual experience. Never pass up an opportunity to play a course of this caliber.

*I am an independent golf course evaluator not affiliated with any other golf publications.*

Every time I play a new course I place a color coded pin on framed USA and Great Britain maps.. It is an interesting topic of conversation when other golfers visit my home.

No comments:

Post a Comment