Thursday, January 14, 2010

Jupiter Hills #9 & #13

The Jupiter Hills Club consists of the Hills and Village Courses. The Hills Course which I played this day, was designed by George Fasio with the help of his two nephews Jim and Tom in 1969. Previously, I had played the Trump course in West Palm designed by Jim Fasio and found several similarities in hole design. Obviously, his uncle had a major influence on his design philosophies.

The Hills Course is situated on natural sand belt hills from which you can view the ocean in the distance. From the clubhouse balcony, Jesper Parnevik's home can be seen along with the top of Tiger Wood's pad. In fact, during WWII the current area of the first tee was used as a submarine lookout tower to watch for German subs.

The par threes are an exceptional collection of holes along with several other elevated green complexes of the longer holes. Water comes into play on 3 out of 4 of the one shot holes. #11 which faces south and #14 which faces north share the same ridge for their tee boxes and the lone tree as a backdrop. Both play in the 180-220 yard range, playing downhill with water coming into play in front of each hole. I can't ever remember playing two par threes designed the way these are.

http://picasaweb.google.com/InPursuitof1000/JupiterHills913?feat=directlink
Hole #9 has multiple tee boxes and plays 40 feet uphill at 170-190 yards. It is protected by a deep faced bunker which appears you would bury your shot into if short of the green. The pin was upfront left and playing at 173 yards the day I played it. Anything hit short or left will find the bunker. So, I played conservative and went with my 190 yard hybrid and hit my shot long off the back of the green into the first cut of rough. From there I chipped, initially looking like a nice shot, it ran by the hole to the fringe. The greens were firm, running at around 12+, and were near perfect. From there I two putted for my bogey.

Hole #13 is a beautiful dog leg left par five. It is protected on both sides of the fairway off the tee with waste bunkers and Bermuda rough. My drive had just a bit too much draw on it and trickled into the left rough. From there I used my 21 degree hybrid, hopefully laying up to around 80-100 yards. The rough caught my club a bit and I hit it just right of the fairway bunker behind some trees, where all I had was a lateral pitch out back to the 100 yard mark. The elevated green is protected by six bunkers esthetically and strategically placed. I used my 52 degree wedge to play pin high right of a left front pin. I had a good run at a par from about twelve feet which didn't drop and left me with another bogey.

For Florida, this is a course with a lot of elevation change. On many of the holes you will be hitting into a variety of elevated greens. Some of the greens have some severe back to front slope to them and you will have no chance of stopping the ball if above the hole. This day my approach shot found the back plateau of #6 and I could have putted all day and not gotten any closer than 25 feet to the middle pin.

The Jupiter Hills Course is beautifully manicured with firm and fast conditions. One of the best practice areas you will ever find at a private club. It has a super friendly staff that provide all the amenities you would expect of a world class facility.

Other notable holes: #5, 15, & 18.

No comments:

Post a Comment