Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Update-Most Courses Played

Last December, for those who have been following my blog, you recall that when I was at Black Diamond Ranch I had the pleasure of playing with 72-year old Terry Inslee. At the time Terry had played 2,610* different courses and had not heard of anyone else playing that many. Pretty astonishing accomplishment, as most people will never even come close to playing that many rounds in their life. He mentioned to me that there was a youngster who had played 1400+ and would probably eventually catch him. But we all knew that Tiger was a lock to break Jack's major record right.

As fate would have it, when I played Erin Hills in late September I was paired with the heir apparent to Terry's throne. Forty-something Darryl Boe, from South Carolina, was at 1,486 courses and well over half way toward breaking the unofficial record.

Last week I read in Golfweek that one of their course raters claims over 3000. 68-year old, Welshman,  Derek Dobbs says he has bag tags from all those courses on his basement walls which are organized by countries and states. If the course didn't have a tag he simply made one himself. I must admit I am a bit skeptical about this guy, as he didn't produce an exact number.

So, it appears that Terry has relinquished the "Unofficial World" crown sooner than he thought. Darryl and who knows whoever else is out there are still in hot pursuit of the Welshman. If I got really motivated and played a new course everyday for the next 8 or 9 years I could catch them all. NO CHANCE unless some companies out there want to sponsor me- Aleve, Geritol, AARP, Golf Channel, Humana Medicare, golf equipment makers, RV companies, golf magazines, are a few that come to mind. I would gladly wear more corporate logos on my golf shirt than John Daly.

*Terry is currently at 2,850, as of the 2015 PGA Show, and still going strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment