Sunday, July 6, 2014

Scotland 2014 places I want to visit again

Another great golf trip to the British Isles and I am already dreaming about a return journey. We had the best golf weather of my four trips, with only about 5 minutes of rain during the start of our round at the Eden Course. No lost clubs, no flight delays this year.

After returning home and reflecting on my trips I always ask myself where would I make time for a return visit. At my age there are way to many golf courses and places I want to travel then I have days left. Below are three stops from this years trip I want to see again:

1. Archie Baird's Heritage Museum- 90 year old Archie Baird has his small museum attached to the Gullane Pro Shop. Archie having married the granddaughter of Willie Park Jr. took an interest in the 50's trying to find old clubs Willie had built. This started his hobby of collecting golf memorabilia. He now has one of the world's most valuable collections of golf art, books, and equipment. By appointment you can have Archie give you his history of golf narrative and show you in his museum the evolution of golf balls and clubs. After his interesting 45 min presentation you will be convinced that the game originated in Holland and was brought over to Scotland. Click on the Old Musselburgh slideshow link to view pictures of Archie at his museum and home. We also played 9 holes with hickories we rented at Old Musselburgh on our first round in Scotland.

2. St. Andrews- The Old Course, Dunvegan Pub, the charm of St Andrews University campus, and more golf shops and pubs per capita then any place in the world. What is not to like? It is now a toss up between Bandon Dunes Resort and St. Andrews as to THE ONE last place I would return to play golf.

3. Cruden Bay- one of the most stunning golf sights was sitting in the clubhouse of Cruden Bay, overlooking the glorious dunes and golf course watching the sun set. Match that up with some of the best food I have eaten and the world's greatest desserts, made by Irene, and you are in golf heaven. The course is described by some as quirky, I describe it as magnificent fun. What a variety of golf holes you experience from blind shots, back to back par 3's, spectacular views of the ocean and Slains Castle from atop the 9th hole. The people are just as friendly as the course is great. We stayed four nights at the Kilmarnock Hotel and can't wait for another chance to return and do it all over again.



No comments:

Post a Comment