Thursday, June 24, 2021

#854-Pine Needles Lodge and GC 6/24/21

The final round of my six course Carolina tour ended with the weeks best weather and an enjoyble foursome to play with. Pine Needles will host the 2022 US Womens Open, having previously had it in 1996, 2001, and 2007. Donald Ross designed the course in 1927, with restoration in 2005 and 2018. It is ranked #11 in NC and the #63 Public in the US. With the Open coming in a year the USGA has already got it in top shape. Generous FW's with undulating Ross greens made for a great day of golf. I have stayed at many nice golf resorts (Slieve Donard at RCD, Spanish Bay at Pebble) but the room (#154) I had overlooking the Pine Needles range is one of the nicest ever. In 1953 the Peggy Kirk Bell family, Frank Cosgrove , and Julius Boros purchased the course. Julius was the Pro across the street at Mid Pines starting in 1950. Julius won 3 majors(2 US Opens and PGA at age 47 in 1968) plus 18 times on tour. He won the Buick Open in 1963 and 1967. In the early 60's he would come to the Montgomery Ward's garden shop in the South Flint Plaza and I just happened to be riding my bike by that day and got to watch his chipping exhibition into a range basket. He was the first pro that I ever met and how lucky I was to follow his career and try to emulate his smooth, effortless, swing. He had the best tempo on tour and never wasted any time over a shot or putt. "Swing easy, hit Hard" was his motto. When people compliment me on my swing and not standing over a shot more than a few seconds, I tell them about the great HOF golfer Juluis Boros. Blue+ rated

https://photos.app.goo.gl/PTDWnN6HHNDo3v35A

Until I figure out how to link these recent courses here please go to my Twitter account to view the slideshows or copy and paste link.**

No comments:

Post a Comment