Thursday, July 15, 2021

#857 Gamble Sands 7/15/21

Gamble Sands is the 4th David McLay Kidd course I have played. The St Andrews Castle Course I had NO fun at all and Bandon Dunes was pretty good but my least favorite of the 5 courses there. I played Mammouth Dunes a couple years ago and really enjoyed it. Gamble Sands is a similar design with firm/fast conditions, generous FW's and large undulating greens. It appears he has changed his philosophy to a more playable, fun experience which I am all for at my age.

As mentioned before, the weather was sizzling hot and the fires produced alot of smoke when I arrived the morning of my round. Luckly the winds shifted and I had a great day of golf. I had planned to play the Quicksands Short course in the PM but the heat would have killed me having to walk it. I also had Wine Valley on my list for this trip, but it would have been a PM tee time and having already suffered the heat at Circling Raven I bowed out. I love short par 4's and Kidd gives you three here. #2 overlooking the Columbia River is one of the best I have played with all kinds of options. I took the direct line and watched my 3 wood drive slowly funnel into the front bunker, I was able to get up and down for a birdie. 5-7 is a wonderful stretch of holes as are holes 14 and 16. I have played several exeptional courses in Washington, Gamble Sands is a close second for me to Chambers Bay. Black rated

https://photos.app.goo.gl/6nBhdQ4KCgeW4Pc68 Copy Link or go to my Twitter account to view these photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment