Friday, September 24, 2021

#863 Diamond Springs GC 9/24/21

Diamond Springs GC, in Hamilton MI, was designed in 2002 by Chris Shumaker and Mike DeVries. This is my 4th DeVries course and along with the Clifton Group (75 courses), these are the two architects whose courses I have played the most rounds of golf on along my golf journey. Coincidentally, I lived on a Clifton course for 11 years and then moved to The Villages where there are almost 700 Clifton holes.

The routing at Diamond Springs is very much the opposite of DeVries fine Greywalls design in Marquette, Michigan. The big issue I had with Greywalls was the most memorable holes and one of the worlds best par 4's (#9), with a Lake Superior view, are on the front nine. Holes #1 and #2 are both potential round wreckers while #10 is the widest FW on the course, number #18 is one of the easiest par 5 holes (should be a long par 4) I have ever played. In my younger days I would hit driver and PW into this tumbling, downhill, finishing hole. The only positive thing I can say is one time I eagled it to shoot 69. The Solution, flip the 9's to make the Greywalls experience even more enjoyable and memorable!

At Diamond Springs you start out with a nice handshake and then have a few interesting holes on the front nine. My favorites are #2, the #5 green which I 3-putted, and #9 which gives you a preview as to what is to come on the back. Starting on the 14th this is one of the most memorable finishing stretches I have played as the ravine/creek is brought back into play. #14 is a short one shot hole with a deep, narrow green along the ravine. I love short 4's and #15 brings in all the risk you want to ever bite off. 10 years ago I would have gone for it but today I layed up with a hybrid and made par. The 3 shot #16 is by far the best 5 at DS, a serpentine type hole that brings you back to the edge of the ravine. Probably not a good idea to try and go for this one in two. #17 is the longest par 3 which again brings the ravine in play to a huge green. I like a strong finishing hole that has a good amount of risk/reward. The 18th here, with your approach bringing the ravine into play, is what I needed to leave Diamond Springs with memories of these last 5 holes that will last a life time. Blue rated.

These last two courses are some of the best valued rounds you will ever play. Langford and DeVries, two of my favorite architects, for under $40! If you play the 36 hole Marquette GC you can experience both of them for under $200.
,
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ToDiZs8p7QXbANog8

No comments:

Post a Comment