Friday, May 27, 2022

#876 Plantation on Crystal River GC

Crystal River GC, formerly Paradise CC, was designed in 1958 by Mark Mahannah and is located in Crystal River, FL. Some have probably heard of this region because of the winter migration of Manatee's up the Crystal river. The golf course is very flat but with a nice assortment of doglegs, ponds, and some of the best greens I have played at a public course in Florida it is well worth the trip. The greens were not only very healthy but so firm that most of the time you didn't leave a ball mark. I found the B9 more challenging with 11-14 a strong stretch of holes, #13 is a good risk/reward hole that I wished I had been more aggressive and not layed up on. My favorite hole was the serpentine par 5 #16 that temps you to take on the pond fronting the green with your second approach shot. It is followed by the best par 3 at #17. I found #2, #6, and #7 interesting on the F9. Overall the par 5's are the stongest group of holes here.

The way the course manages their rakes in the bunkers was a first for me. They insert a PVC pipe down in the ground at the edge of the bunker and you just drop it down the capped top and it is vertical with only the rake end protruding. The staff is very professional and friendly. The director of golf shared with me the history of the course which I found very interesting, that Tommy Bolt once lived on the 10th hole and was part of the pro staff which included Gay Brewer, Doug Ford, Bob Goalby, among others. The orginal golf course lots in the 50's were priced under 5k and the promo stated "Thou shall dwell in Paradise" thus Paradise CC. The management hit a homerun with me with their priority of superb greens and outgoing staff to earn a GOLD rating. Call 352-795-7211 for golf and lodging.

No comments:

Post a Comment