Monday, June 7, 2010

Migrating North for the Summer

Early this morning I completed my journey from Florida. I left my winter home on the 15th of May and over the next three weeks traveled a circuitous 3000 mile route to Northern Michigan. In between I played 17 courses of which 13 were new. The weather was spotty, as it has been for much of the past year for me when I am on the road playing golf. Seems like I am often just a step ahead of a storm or in one.

I met a lot of new golf friends and was able to spent some time with a few old friends on the way. I stayed in Hendersonville for a couple of nights and got to visit with an old college classmate who I had not seen for over 20 years. Played golf in West Virginia for the first time and enjoyed three courses there while visiting a friend I met in Florida. Next on the tour was Ohio for some rest and relaxation in Cincinnati with my mother and step father. Got to play a round of golf with a buddy there who will be joining us at Bandon Dunes Resort the first of August. I finally hit Michigan on the 25th and played the course I had been looking forward to the whole trip- Oakland Hills CC. It was all I had anticipated and more. The next day I met a high school friend and we returned to a course we had not played since the early 90's. We both agreed it was better than we remembered and wondered why we had waited so long to return. Too many great new courses to discover, not enough time to play all the old favorites. I then headed into the U.P. for the Memorial Day holiday.

This past week I stayed in Boyne City with an old colleague and we golfed our way down to Battle Creek for a three day outing with about 50 other guys in our profession. Unfortunately, the weather was so threatening each day, I didn't even take my camera out to photograph any of these three new courses. I will be posting the photo's of the ten other new courses in the next week or so.

Can you get burnt out on playing too much golf? This morning at one AM, I did not want to see another golf course and thought the answer to that question was YES. 14 hours later after a good nights sleep, I am ready to get back out there and play in my Tuesday summer league tomorrow. Oh, what a great trip back North it was.

The countdown now begins for the 8:00 AM, August tee time at Pacific Dunes. 36 holes a day and walking for four days, I may be asking myself that question again. After a days rest I will probably have the same answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment