Sunday, July 7, 2013

Scottish courses I want to play again

Back in the USA, a few days removed from Scotland, has given me some time to reflect on my most recent trip. At my age there are way too many golf courses that I want to experience then I will ever be able to play. So returning and playing all the courses a second time is not an option. These are a few that would warrant consideration for a replay if I get the opportunity again.
Royal Dornoch- my favorite course of the whole trip. What great flow and transitions from one elevation to the other. Played it twice, could play it everyday.
Old Course- found it a bit quirky and target like golf to stay away from the bunkers. Nothing better than the challenge of the Road Hole and the ambiance of the 18th green surrounded on two sides by people watching you putt out. St Andrews is the most charming golf town I have ever visited. Got to love all the golf shops and 19th holes within a short walk of your last stroke.
Kingsbarns and Castle Stuart- Great ground game options and imagination needed at both of these.
Abernethy(9)- always nice for a small course to exceed your expectations. This whole area in the beautiful Cairngorms National Park and Abernethy Forest was a real surprise to me, in that there was a downhill ski resort in Scotland. Ski able snow was still visible in the mountain tops.

Watch for photos of all 19 courses to appear over the upcoming weeks, scattered with a few posts about the trip. Today, I start out with my #1-Royal Dornoch.

https://picasaweb.google.com/InPursuitof1000/RoyalDornoch?authuser=0&feat=directlink



No comments:

Post a Comment