Friday, October 8, 2021

#871 Colbert Hills GC 10/8/21

Colbert Hills GC in Manhattan, KS, which is the home course of Kansas State, was the last course I played on my Fall trip and was one of the most refreshing and enjoyable. This top 10 in state 2000 Jeff Brauer and Jim Colbert design had all the elements that lights my fire: forced carries, risk/reward, rolling terrain, defined fairways that requires accuracy of the tee, aesthetic bunkering, demanding shotmaking, water hazards, and very well conditioned. Today's architects are producing a similar look of huge undefined fairways, lack of forced carries, minimal chance of losing your golf ball, and huge undulating greens. Not that I don't appreciate these new links style courses but I really like the challenge of standing over shots knowing that one little miscue your $5 ball maybe going to golfball heaven. Pressure is what makes me really focus and produce exciting shots that I will always remember.

In 2006, on my only trip to Pebble Beach I came to the blind eighth tee shot and had no idea where the drive would end up. How exciting it was to see it in the FW and 192 yds from the hole. I pulled out my 4 hybrid, which I still have in my bag but now only hit 170 yds, and nearly holed it to the dangerous right pin location (see Pebble Beach Slideshow} for a tap in birdie. I will never forget that shot and will always enjoy courses like Colbert Hills where there is some element of risk. This is one that I could play regularly. Blue rated

The world class display of monster Bucks are from my old classmates trophy room. All taken with bow from his Kansas farm. The next day we enjoyed a come from behind Michigan Wolverine victory over the Huskers. What a wild gameday experience we had.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/RZXy1EcHbDzsety59

No comments:

Post a Comment